Louisburg Square (the “s” in Louisburg is pronounced) was possibly named in honor of the victory of Massachusetts colonists who captured the French-Canadian fortress of Louisburg in 1745. Planned in 1826, construction did not start until 1834. Based on Charles Bulfinch’s original concept to have a series of houses built around a park, the Louisburg Square Proprietors (founded in 1844) was the first homeowners association in the country. Homeowners equally split the expenses for keeping up Louisburg Square and the oval park. The statues of Aristides and Columbus were donated by a Greek merchant (Joseph Iasigi) in 1850. It was when some boys vandalized the statues that the Louisburg Square Proprietors decided that only homeowners living in the Square could have access to the small park. Today residents get a key to the park’s gate and a deeded parking space on the square. The American traditions of Christmas Eve caroling and placing candles in the windows during the holiday season began here in the late nineteenth century. The first residence built here was number nineteen; the lot selling for $2,092. This grouping of houses is considered to be one of the best examples of Greek Revival row houses in all of New England.